Angles Of Dangle.
Having made the cardboard templates, it only remained to cut the metal. Despite having the templates, when bends are involved and a brake press is not at your disposal, every bit of help is welcome.
When I bought the tube bending machine, I thought it wise to invest in this inexpensive angle finder. It's proved to be indispensable. I even bought another one for The Other Wright Brother who is rebuilding all the sash windows in his slightly wonky house. Here again, it has proved to be a great boon.
With the boxes cut to shape and trimmed to fit, I remembered that I needed to make provision for the handbrake. The original outer cable was too long to put the lever on the propshaft tunnel, and I didn't want to try and shorten it.
The outer cable comfortably wound its way to the back of the offside box and the lever would sit just in front of the door next to the forward side wall - reminiscent of the 'Auntie' Rovers (and a hundred other examples).
More cardboard engineering produced the kind of bracket which I least like making, but for which there was no practical alternative.
I keep promising myself I will make a fandango to solve my bracket-making woes but haven't got around to it yet. After a bit of a struggle, the bracket was acceptable (I even thought to drill the mounting holes in the spine before the folding began) and I was able to drill the ½" hole for the spindle with a suitable bit of wood jammed inbetween the wings to make sure the hole arrived at the same place on the other side.
The spacers correct the measurement where my ruler contrived to mislead me from the outset. I'll most probably replace those with a piece of 1" square tube welded to the box and the bracket welded to that. For maintenance purposes, the sill section will have a removable panel and the spindle bolt will have a captive nut mounted on the blind side of the bracket. The hole just below the fish shape is a pilot for one of the chassis bolts. I might have to put in a pulley for the cable to run in as the cable clamp is not in the best place. Alternatively (and the easier route) I could cut and reposition the end of the lever to bring the clamp to the horizontal, giving the cable a straighter run.
Making the removable outer panel waterproof might be a bit of an ask, but I'll make sure there's adequate drainage for post-ford crossings. Come to think of it, I will need to pay particular attention to waterproofing the removable panel behind the pedals that it transpired I needn't have made.
To the Norfolk workshop where the replica Jaguars are finished, and I noticed these very lightweight bonnet hinges. Food for thought.
The postman has delivered the two 45° stainless steel bends that I need to make up the joggle to get the exhaust past the block's lower waterpipe. Another job for my invaluable angle finder.