An Old Joke.
'When the paperwork equals the weight of the aircraft, it's fit for flight'. Actually, there is some truth in that statement.
A project like the Teardrop Special certainly generates plenty of paper, though it's nice to have a physical chronicle of time wasted on chain operated clutches and whatnot.
In a move to expedite the starting and driving of the rolling chassis, various boxes of electrickery had to be positioned and fitted. I started with the coil pack and noted that I'd not yet sourced a sensor to read the toothed trigger plate attached to the crankshaft pulley.
Next up was to finish the fitting out of the cooling system and steering control boxes hidden behind a removable panel on the dash.
Then the Megajolt Lite Jr ignition control box which I put at the top of the passenger footwell. I'm using the MAP sensor option which measures manifold pressure and adjusts the timing accordingly.
This presented a bit of difficulty as the vacuum pipe outlet was on the other side of the carb from where, in a normal setup, it would route easily to the distributor. Not so here. The copper pipe may yet be redundant as I've remembered that I've made provision for a vacuum gauge on the dash and that has a special gasket with a suction pipe outlet which fits between the carb and manifold. I can take a second pipe from a 'Y' piece and feed the MAP sensor from that.
To complete the cooling system, the heater had to be fitted. I haven't addressed the heater pipes which emerge from each end of the cylinder head as their routing requires some tight bends. I haven't the equipment to do these - but I know a man who does. Alternatively, I can make up some brass fittings which don't require a 180° return.
A concern always in the back of my mind, was the seat height in relation to the steering wheel. This first 'jury-rig' highlighted my miscalculation - or, more exactly, my lack of calculation. I pondered this for a while and then came up with the idea of a height adjustable steering wheel.
No self-respecting Special builder would put a plain piece of aluminium on a soon-to-be burr walnut veneered dash, so a bit of engine-turning was called for.
I then decided I didn't like the chrome dome nuts and turned up a couple of brass clamp nuts to give the fixture a period look - though what period remains debatable.
Lastly, Learned Counsel popped in with an old racing car battery of which type will sit atop the passenger footwell and save me cutting a hole in the floor of the cockpit. I'm not sure if this battery is suitable - it didn't come with any paperwork.