A Week Of Firsts.
On the way back from the Goodwood Revival, Leon noticed a grinding noise coming from one of the front wheels of his A7 Special.
This is how it should look...
This is how it shouldn't - I've never seen that before. Awkward and Co raced to the rescue - a 300-mile round trip - taking with them a spare hub. Obviously, removing the broken hub was a bit of a poser as the extractor thread wasn't there anymore.
Bolting the spare hub to the back plate did the trick and Leon was soon on his way again.
I'd been pondering the size of the steering wheel for a while; the Riley one was too big and the one I made for 'Sunita', my A7 Special, was too small. The middle size was perfect - a rim's width smaller and larger, respectively.
The Gods were smiling on me when I undertook to wrestle with the pipe bender to create the heater pipes. I got the top one right first go!
The lower and shorter pipe was more of a fight. It's alright for now, but I think I may have to have another go at it - I have a suspicion that I've cut the bend a bit short, and a jubilee might not grip as well as it should.
The battle continued as I started assembling the plug leads to the coil block. I remembered that I had some silicon spray that made the process a lot easier. The real difficulty was working out which lead went where. The coil pack fires in pairs - from top to bottom, A, B, and C. With a firing order of 1-5-3-6-2-4, I needed to work out the order for which pairs of pistons were at the top of their travel together - there's a wasted spark so it wasn't necessary to establish TDC on the firing stroke. Fortunately, I had a spare crank in the stores dept, and was able to determine the sequence of events.
Making the floor supports was a job I could no longer put off.
The best way of attaching them to the cross tube took a bit of thunking, but I found a piece of tube of identical diameter and created a saddle for the vertical plate to sit on. A 1" square tube bolted to a handily placed bracket at the rear of the gearbox, completed the floor's subframes.
There's some tweaking to do - probably not for the last time.