... did the trick.
When I built the scuttle, I didn't realise how much trouble I would cause myself by adding a reverse curve to the top rail.
Having got myself in a corner, the only way to get out of it was to replace the rail omitting the dip, or have a go at blending it in to the curve of the bulkhead with the roofer's torch, a block of hardwood, and some clamps. I'm pleased to say that worked well.
The second part of the problem I'd created for myself was not having a space between the windscreen and the dashboard into which all the demisting pipework and vents could be placed. The same went for the windscreen wiper and washer mechanisms.
The dashboard is now 4" further into the cockpit and will be attached to these extensions which slip into the existing tubes. The downside is that I'll lose some of the exposed length of the steering column - a feature I've always thought of as particularly elegant in the Bugatti coupés. The shape of the dashboard - I'm not doing that again - I shall work into the top rail's new contour with an ash capping running the width of the cockpit.
The diesel-powered lorry cab heater has proved a great addition to the workshop. It's been too cold to spend a lot of time in the welding department which lacks any sort of heating, so I've started to concentrate more on getting the engine ready for starting.
The carb came in for a complete rebuild and I've also added a tickler to the float chamber. The vacuum tube which originally ran to the distributor has been blocked off and the special intake gasket which came with the vacuum gauge (now not part of the instrument panel) will supply the Megajolt box of tricks.
We've enjoyed a spectacular run of frosts in the last week, transforming the hedges and trees in my garden into works of art.
Fortunately, the pathways have kept themselves mostly clear of ice with the dry cold.
The relentless advance of the brambles has been stopped in its tracks...
... as has the Buddleia - until the heat comes back on.