The base plate and coils of the magneto magnetiser weigh in at around 20kg.
The coils produce a useful force....
... and if you watch carefully, you'll see the spanner bend!
I had an old magneto in store, so gave it a couple of three second bursts. I didn't know its condition, but as soon as I've built a test rig with a row of plugs to light up, I'll be able to see if it's made a difference.
My wood working is not great, but I knocked up a box to mount the bits and pieces out of 12mm plywood, so it'll be sturdy enough.
The Indian Rosewood stain that I used for the dashboard came in handy to smarten things up, and all that remained was to wire up the switches and whatnot and print the instructions to go on the left of the ammeter.
I made up a wiring diagram based on what had worked during the tests, with the addition of an extra 10-amp fuse to protect the switch gear. The site transformer which supplies 110v has its own pop-out protection thingummy.
Because I don't understand electrics, it took me a couple of hours to do this simple job. I'm not plugging it in until Awkward comes by to give it the once-over.
I bought an aquarium pump and a 25L bucket to circulate water through my new water-cooled welding torch. The pump didn't have an on/off switch, so I found an old in-line example and opened it up. The little black thing threw me completely, so I had to take advice on how to wire it in to the pump's plug - that's how useless I am at electrics. It turned out to be a diode. I was told to throw it away and split the brown wire, which I did. I've put 20L of spring water in the bucket as the water in East Anglia is hard as nails and would soon calcify the system.
The new torch works very well but I need more practise and a steadier hand.
This is a pair of table stands I made for a chum. He has a couple of Ferrari's and is immersed in the marque. The discs are from a 308, and wheels, sans tyres, bolt to the hubs. A plate glass top completes the piece. I had the legs and base plates waterjet cut and a very nice job they made of it. The edges of the legs - designed to look like Ferrari steering wheel spokes - were later radiused on a CNC machine. The next job is to have the bases nickel plated.
It's bee pond time and to save me struggling over the garden with my mower, this year I've created four patches - two more than last year. As they develop, they become a magnet for interesting wildlife seeking cover from the pair of Red kites that live in the trees just over the paddock.