One animal I didn't expect to see as I sat in the tent watching the cable go by, was a mink - a black mink at that.
I wasn't quite quick enough with my phone camera, but managed to catch its tail as it shot past the tent's opening.
Almost every day had started with bright sunshine. We had a couple of thunderstorms and some chilly winds, but in still conditions, it was sometimes 20° and more.
The evenings were mostly tranquil...
... and then we were on our way home from one of the smoothest cable load-outs I've been involved in. A good team, some of whom I've worked with before in Italy and Germany, was a blessing.
Though this Iris had appeared from nowhere, my garden was otherwise looking very unkempt when I got back. Not so the house. I'd asked a local girl to pop in whilst I was away and do a deep clean. I'm having to wear sunglasses inside! That was money well spent.
Catching up with chums; in preparation for the model flying evening, a fellow magneteer had built (in 3 days) this 1946 Grosswing. It puts to shame my lack of progress on the Bi-Fly, but The Other Wright Brother has a selection of candidates for me to choose from if time runs out.
A lunchtime visit to a local Morgan gathering had this Super Sports in attendance. There were a couple of modern ones - we have a dealer locally - but they don't do anything for me. The Pembleton V-Sport is aesthetically a much prettier rendition and is much talked about. There's a chance I might get a ride in one in the coming months.
Back on the Special, the fuel sender needed refurbishing and testing.
The Zenith paper drill is one of my most useful tools when making small gaskets.
I had a spare contact set in store with which I rebuilt this SU fuel pump. That now works and will be fitted to the scuttle once that's back in place.
The computerised water pump wasn't compatible with the Riley gauge, so I've put a conventional sender in the return from the bottom of the radiator. The original gauge will at least demonstrate that the radiator is working.
The braces for the radiator mounting needed some adjustment and a second coat of paint after cutting and welding...
... and the fan mount has also been painted. Not quite on the home straight just yet, but it's getting closer.