It won't be long before the engine's running.
The three arrows indicate the bolts for the brackets that hold the plug lead tube. I haven't made the brackets so far - one of those little jobs I put to the back of the queue - but perhaps I should have. As I filled the engine with oil, all three bolt holes christened the block with a nice, neat line of oil, ending in puddles on the floor. As I'd just filled the gearbox and had a similar event with a brass fitting and tube taped to a funnel (the filler plug is handily placed in the least accessible point under the scuttle framework) I was getting used to unanticipated spillages, but the fact that the bolt holes are open to the oil system seems strange.
I amused myself with designing the bracket for front of the exhaust pipe - I haven't quite worked out how to do the rear silencer bracket as it exits just in front of the rear wheel and may have to be a temporary arrangement until the bodywork is in progress.
I think I've made the lightening hole too big and will have to either plug or make it again, but it'll be adequate for the initial engine runs.
The Sunbeam's wheel well turned out to be rather more awkward than I first thought. I had to take the running board off and make adjustments in the workshop.
The running board alone takes the weight of the spare wheels, the mud demonstrating the purpose of the well.
I made a boss for the steering wheel which incorporated The Special Builder's Breakfast Club badge.
Although only ½" bigger than the plain boss, it didn't look right and the elegance of the wheel was lost, so the plain and smaller boss it is. I shall use the badge idea on a rear fog light; that'll be a nice detail.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Mr Laken has discovered that the vanes and internal surfaces of the supercharger are coated with a fine resin that dissolves in petrol. It's been suggested that this is to make sure the clearances are as tight as possible. With the blower downstream of the carb, the coating wouldn't last long. A lack of resin film might not affect the blower's mechanical function, though it will degrade its performance to some degree.
Realising that these superchargers were designed for fuel-injected engines and the compressor is involved with only the intake of air, ideas to mitigate the absence of the resin can be explored. I wondered about copper plating the vanes and their chamber.
Despite this small technical setback, Mr Laken is determined to continue the experiment and has sourced a blow-off valve from a Subaru. Needing first a bit of machining, it's close enough.