I Hadn't Seen This In A While.
I was sorting through some ancient slides the other day...
... when this came to light. It was mine and The Other Wright Brother's first foray into Special building. Inspired by a test drive in a Volkswagen based, fibreglass 'Bugatti' from a local garage, we bought a Triumph Vitesse for £50 and threw away the moth-eaten body. I then built the cockpit area out of cardboard to get the feel of things. Ma rang the scrapyard to have it carted away whilst we were in London one day.
In anticipation of the third 'Great Moment' (A7 Special 'Sunita', Hillman 14 Special, and now the Riley) I've mounted a small auxiliary fuel tank attached to a spare float chamber lid. When the engine is running and deemed serviceable, I can test the fuel pump and the line for leaks in calmer circumstances.
With the chassis on axle stands, I removed the wheels to more easily bleed the braking system.
I was delayed in this by discovering that the rubber dust covers over the rear brake gubbins prevented my getting a spanner onto the bleed nipples. The longer nipples took a week to arrive. That wasn't a problem as I had to wrap high density PTFE tape around all the brake pipe unions. Reproduction parts are not that good at sealing though I have to admit I felt it prudent to redo a couple of the pipe ends too. Under about 7lbs pressure, there remains a slight weep at one of the junctions, but I can live with that until I can do the pipe again - of course, it would be the most awkward one.
This pretty little MG Q type replica had starter button problems. Counsel reported a worrying firework display in the footwell when running it up for a potential customer. A new, correct button is £150, so, as there was nothing to lose, what better excuse to take the duff one apart and see what was going on.
It was wrecked inside. Most of the insulation had disintegrated or melted into the copper bowl. The button is awkwardly placed above the gear engagement pedal (it has a Wilson preselector box) and getting a direct push on it with your foot is not easy. I suspect the difficulty of its operation has contributed to its demise.
I found a replacement grommet and return spring for the central shaft and turned a nylon cup for the bottom of the bowl, in which the two copper contacts would sit.
In the end of the shaft, I drilled a tiny hole into which, in the manner of a split pin, a piece of spring steel could be introduced to stop the assembly from falling apart.
Most things can be resurrected with a bit of effort. Incidentally, neither I or Counsel could get in and out of the cockpit with the steering wheel in place. Not ideal in emergencies.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Mr Laken has designed and made 3D printed gaskets for the manifold.
The sharp-eyed will notice the vacuum advance pipe dangling. This will be removed, and its union plugged. A purely mechanical advance will be employed - whether by bob-weights or lever on the column remains to be seen.