Getting Things Straight.
I rang the supplier, and they talked me through which wires from the wheel speed sensor plug went where, when connected to the steering's box of tricks. Almost impossible to see, unless the plug was tilted to the light, were numbers which corresponded to the pin numbers in their literature. It might have been helpful to know that. I've also changed the mounting position from the chassis' floor supports to the end of the gearbox - dopey didn't think it through - and the sensor is now fixed at the required few millimetres from the propshaft's Hardy-Spicer joint.
The distribution board that takes the wiring for the lights, indicators, fuel sender and so forth, is now in place, so I can start hooking up the connections from the dash and fuse box. The board will eventually be hidden behind an interior trim card, perhaps with some sort of flap for access.
When I was turning over the engine to get the oil distributed and the system primed, there was an odd tinkling noise which seemed to come from the starter motor - at least I'm hoping so. I took the motor off, and I think it's some wear in the Bendix mechanism allowing it to chatter slightly. I had another starter in bits in the stores (I'd taken it apart to experiment with new rubber bungs in the shock absorber element) so reassembled it, only to discover at the end of the process that a large circlip which secures the gear extension to the Acme threaded fandango, was missing a bit. Mr Holmes has once again come to the rescue, and I'll try the spare out to see if the noise disappears. These starter motors are not independently supported at the business end, so they can be tested only attached to the engine as the shaft's second bearing is in the bellhousing.
It doesn't look like I've achieved much in the last twelve months, but the detail work (and the stuff I've been unhappy with and so redone) has taken up most of the time. I've also been away for nearly three months this year; mostly in the Spring and Summer, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over my apparent lack of progress.
Learned Counsel, who's not enjoying an unusually cold spell in Spain, spotted this charming Seat in a carpark up the road from him. He's left a note under the wiper asking if it might be for sale.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I'd asked Mr Laken the purpose of the two hooks I'd spotted on the plenum. The picture needs no explanation.
With the plenum and front pulley mountings complete, there was no excuse for not doing a trial assembly - which was just as well.
Some nifty work on the pulley bracket - in the process so making it adjustable - realigned the components.