... it was a fun week, which brought a welcome change of scene on an unexpectedly bright and sunny day.
A chauffeuring job took me to Wales, and with a couple of hours to kill before the return trip, the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct beckoned. I caught a glimpse of it through the trees, but the only way I could get near it was along the towpath from the next village....
... ending up on top of the aqueduct and from which vantage point I couldn't see the whole structure.
Maintenance work prevented me from walking across - which looked a bit scary in any case.
Everything was ready for the start-up (note the temporary exhaust going out of the door) except there was no spark...
... and the box of tricks wasn't talking to the computer.
Not knowing a great deal about the workings of the system, apart from that it worked when we tested the equipment on the bench, I managed to get some sense out of it by changing the comm port. It's all very well the computer telling me it's the wrong port - a bit like it not seeing a printer - a suggestion of what to do about it would be helpful.
I gave up and made a replica of the Buick's Dynastart - the actual one is too heavy to play about with under the car - which enabled me to get the correct dimensions for the bracket that'll be attached to the cross-beam under the floorboards. Mr Holmes and friends have cast doubt on my plan to have the Dynastart constantly engaged, suggesting that the rubber wheel will wear out in no time at all. This means that I'll have to make up an engagement mechanism - something that I was hoping to avoid. I can still test the tenacity of wiser counsel's theory, and if it's right, both options will have been accommodated.
This timely discovery - a porous brake master cylinder - speaks to the quality of some repro parts. I shall alert the vendor and get a decent one somewhere else. The clutch cylinder (a Land Rover part) doesn't have this problem.
The MG P Type was to have gone to its new owner this week. To make sure it could be driven onto a trailer, Counsel and I went to give it a run-up (the tail lifts to access the battery). With an inlet tract a mile long and no primer, it was a bit reluctant to show signs of life. We had to resort to Easy-Start; not the best idea, but desperate men and a weakening battery.... Export paperwork had again delayed the car's departure.
Looking back a bit further, 1968 was a fun year.