A Special Builder's Notes


The Special Builder's Breakfast Club

icon (reversed)
25 July 2013

Keeping Cool.....

... has been quite difficult these last few weeks but, I'm not complaining - it's cold for long enough. The Austin will also be keeping cool now that the water pump has been fitted. I was in the workshop at 6.30 last Saturday, determined to make as much progress as I could because I'm working for Cook for part of this coming weekend.

post image

That's the major part of the installation with the gearbox and engine oil all topped up and then I set about the water pump. Matching the bore of the pump to the water inlet manifold and radiator wasn't the chore I imagined and with some odd bits of hose from other jobs, I got the inlet manifold to pump sorted out quite neatly.

post image

The bits and pieces slip easily between the crankcase and the dynamo. I was very lucky to have a stainless steel 90 degree bend of just the right diameter - left over from the SU carb conversion - which set the tone for the rest of the job. I had to go down to the plumbing shop for the fittings to go on the radiator to pump side of the business, plus a couple of Jubilee's and bit of hose to finish off. Because the water will be pumping round the system, I don't think that the reduction in bore size either side of the pump is going to matter much, if at all; it might even speed the flow up a bit. The only thing to watch out for is the pump failing, then the reduced bore size will make a difference to the thermo-syphon effect. We'll just have to keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

post image

In between all this, I managed to rub down the Hillman tank and give that a second coat of black. Next weekend - or the part left that I have to myself - I'm determined to get the Hillman tourer hood done. Actually, I'll probably get on with that during the week as I've had my friend's sewing machine for a couple of months and done nothing with it; he may ask for it back at any moment. And, the mention of sewing - needles - sharp bits of metal..... whilst I was lying on the floor of the workshop putting the sump tray back on the Austin, I must have unknowingly picked up a bit of metal because this morning I felt a scratchy thing on my shoulder. With the tweezers, I removed a piece of wire 12mm long!  I didn't even know it was there..... no sense, as they say.....

post image

I've fished out an old switch which happened to have a 'W' on it and mounted that in between the choke and the starter. The wiring was dead easy because when I built the Austin and did the electrics, I put a bus bar for power behind the dash. There were a couple of terminals free so that saved a lot of fiddling about. I also found an old aircraft dashboard fuse-holder which I've mounted in the sparks bay under the bonnet. It's all turned out rather more neatly than I'd hoped.


previous post Housekeeping.
next post The Work Of A Moment...


Comments are processed by Akismet and may be subject to manual review. Learn More
A Special Builder's Notes Powered by DragonFruit TermForce. Login