A Special Builder's Notes


The Special Builder's Breakfast Club

icon (reversed)
19 February 2014

By The Time....

... I'd been shopping, done the washing, cooked the week's rations, been to a bit of a petrol head's beano with The Ambassador's Daughter and then out for a spin in the Austin to deliver some parts for a chum's Riley, the weekend had gone. Still, you bump into the nicest people (I must make an effort and do the front wings for the Austin).

post image

I was up a bit earlier on Monday and whilst I had a moment or two, I ordered a battery, whizzed up a battery box and set it into the rear floor. Folding 4 sides of a box is always a bit of a caper but luckily Counsel looked in for a cup of tea and held on to the bench whilst I levered the last 2 sides into position.

post image

There's about 6 or 7 inches clearance between the bottom of the box and the pinion carrier - it's going to have to be a pretty big pothole to get that sort of travel on the springs, so I think I'm safe.

post image

I've also ordered a few metres of 170 amp cable to get going with the ignition circuit and, whilst I was on the phone to the people who sold me the alternator/dynamo look-alike, I asked about fitting an ammeter in the line. It all got rather complicated what with different sorts of ammeter wiring configurations for this and that and I quickly lost track. However, chap was a bit puzzled as to why I would want to fit an ammeter and not a voltmeter - the latter being a much easier and straightforward installation and apparently a great deal more useful in this context. I couldn't answer that question because, pressures and temperatures I can understand but volts, amps or ohms on a gauge might just as well be pounds of carrots as far as I'm concerned; as long as the needle goes round to the same place every time, that's all I want to know. I had a quick look for a suitable voltmeter and it looks like I might have to do the usual trick of making up a face and finding a suitable bezel for a more modern instrument.

post image

The other job I managed to squeeze in was to assemble the radiator brace. It's a jolly useful piece of metal - a simple inverted channel section - because you can hang stuff from it like the horn - the horn I'm using is a bit of a monster at a couple of feet long and needs something fairly sturdy to support it.  I'm also able to strap to it the temperature gauge tube and I can put the bonnet centre hinge mounts at each end.

post image

I should take delivery of the battery this week and the cables will be on their way as well so, by next weekend, I'll be that much closer to firing up. I don't know how many times I've thought that that moment was just around the corner and then I've realised that something else has to be done first - the exhaust for instance. See, I'd forgotten about that.

previous post Fun In Spain.
next post Being Helpful.


Comments are processed by Akismet and may be subject to manual review. Learn More
A Special Builder's Notes Powered by DragonFruit TermForce. Login