Hours Of Fun With Filler.
I rather over-did the application of filler to the model and then had to spend a long time filing and sanding it back into some sort of shape.
Shadows in bright sunlight are especially useful for seeing 'dinks' in the form - there's a flat on the rear wing that I'd missed and the transition from bonnet to grill isn't right. The front wheel arch is looking a bit stodgy too.
I may have to reshape the cabin from the back of the door rearwards - I can't get rid of the 'Noddy' look in profile and I think it's because I've gone a bit too deep with the cutter down the back. Lifting the line may bring everything back into a gentler transition and stop the fin fighting with the slope of the rear.
And we're clearly a bit square on the roof, but the front wing has got the beginnings of the edge I was after. I'm looking forward to playing with the scan - maybe pull it about here and there.
I fought my way through all sorts of come-in-handy stuff to check on the dimensions of the Series II engine. The outer face of the flywheel is set approximately 8mm inside the crankcase and with the pressure plate attached, the T9 input shaft just pokes through the clutch plate by about 10mm - the splines don't engage at all.
After a lot of time searching for a solution on the web, I found that there's a longer input shaft on the 2.8l V6 box and, after a chat with a local gearbox chap, I got the dimensions and knocked up a drawing. It seems that the longer shaft - which I'm assured is interchangeable - would do the trick. The spigot on the end of the T9 shaft is smaller than that of the Morris, so a new flywheel bush with a smaller internal diameter is easy-peasy.
The adaptor plate will be less easy as the amount of space I have to play with has reduced considerably since my initial estimate. I envisage swapping the four Ford retaining bolts for four hex socket cap screws counter-bored in the adaptor plate. The plate will be also drilled and tapped to take the original 6 bolts from the Morris gearbox, they in turn, being inserted through the bell-housing. It'll be a mix of metric (Ford) and imperial (Morris) but no one will know. I'm determined to keep the Morris bell-housing if I can as it'll save a lot of palaver with the clutch release bearing and operating forks.
A visit to Mr Slightly-Strange gave me a couple of pointers on some of the ways to handle various bits of bodywork. His Model T tub was pushed out into the sunshine so I could get a couple of snaps. Mr Slightly-Strange is using hammer forms to shape up the various panels and ribs that give the body rigidity.
To make the forms, he uses a particularly hard wood which is found occasionally in pallets. It's a long job, but that's half the fun.