Don't Throw Anything Away.
My next-door neighbour hired a skip and generously invited me to make use of it. Well, the tele that went up in smoke had been hanging around for a while, some ancient strip lights and, I was suddenly inspired to sort out the scrap metal store. A pile of stuff went in, though walking past the skip a couple of days later, I retrieved a few of bits that I thought I'd too hastily cast aside.
Just as well! A Magneteer chum turned up and asked me to make a mechanical hook so that when he put his glider into its trailer, the axle of the wheeled dolly the nose is supported on, slides up the pivoted pedal and slips into the cut-out, thus securing it for transportation. A spring on the back holds the lock on and a cord attached to the pedal and threaded under the bar, extends to the rear of the trailer and is pulled to release the lock when he wants to get the glider out.
Plus a couple of wing dolly hooks - all made from scrap!
Mr Slightly-Strange has continued manufacturing braces for the Model T body.....
... and I had to brace myself before slashing off the front of the model, making way for the revised radiator shape.
Plus a fillet for the rear wing/body transition. I was being a bit lazy and, as I'd ladled on the plaster beyond the recommended limit of 4mm, it was still wet underneath a couple of days later.
There was no alternative but to do what I should have done in the first place. (It's going to look a bit 'shouty' if the boot lid stays like that!)
With the new nose (work in progress) the overall shape began to come together, though the slope of the bonnet seemed a bit flat and needed attention.
Avro's "Standard Pilot" was pressed into service (after some adjustment in Photoshop) to give scale to the model. I was happy at this stage to re-scan the model before I cut out the door, window, boot and bonnet apertures. This would allow me to overlay a third scan determining the positions of those apertures and making provision for them in the .dxf files produced for the CNC router. Those modules will be detachable - as will the wings - making construction a lot easier.
The Morris 6 engine is quite tall and its positioning is made more difficult by the distributor (not shown) sticking out of the top of the front of the rocker cover. The engine just squeezes in under the bonnet and gives a 7" ground clearance. With the Ford Type 9 gearbox attached to the Morris bell-housing, the gear lever arrives in the cockpit pretty much where you'd want it. Following a visit to the 6/80 guru, Nev Holmes, I've learnt of a new type of crankshaft damper which when adapted for the Morris crankshaft, can drive extra ancillaries via a multi-vee belt - perfect for the supercharger. I've also taken advice on the Series II engine. Despite the extra water gallery, it's generally thought that the Series II was not a significant improvement on its predecessor and the fact that coolant is introduced at the top of the Series II engine instead of the bottom, thereby risking thermal shock to the head, casts doubt on the choice.
So I've skipped that idea and reverted to the Series I