One afternoon, as the weather started to deteriorate, we left the field and docked at Harwich in the late evening.
Around 7:00 the following morning, I slipped off the ship and strolled through the dock to a supermarket some 15 minutes away. After buying a magazine, I made my way back. The security gate through which I'd left was now locked and the guard had disappeared. Not to worry, here's a full height turnstile. I stepped through - CLANG - trapped! Hmm, this was a bit of a pickle. Aha! there's a panel just here, it must have an alarm button. No. Anyone about? No. Some sort of emergency release anywhere? Yes. Fortunately it worked, but I was still the wrong side of the fence. I found another gate - with a guard - about 5 minutes walk away. Did I have a pass? No. Go back to Freight Security - about 10 minutes walk - and they might give you one if you're on the crew list. I got back on board about an hour later.
The striped fish are Pout. Mackerel look in on the going's on around the cable; dogfish, akin to miniature sharks, slide by, starfish potter about minding their own business and occasionally a supermarket trolley turns up. The ROV men are constantly entertained.
I mentioned making cardboard mock-ups of brackets before cutting metal and this is one I made for the throttle cable at the carb. This must have been a tricky one as there's evidence of prototypes in the background.
The tail was finished off with a piece of aluminium which neatly covered up the ends of the plywood strips. This was before I understood how to shrink metal, but I got there in the end.
It's always the detail that takes the time and it would have been useful if I'd had my TIG equipment (and known how to use it) instead of having to wait for someone else to weld up things like this rear mudguard bracket.
To accommodate the rear mudguard brackets, I'd thought ahead and had run a tube of slightly larger diameter across the rear chassis extensions.
Things like bonnet stays were easy. I was working part-time at AJD Engineering at the time (now Hawker Restorations) and I took the bonnet along so we could flush-rivet the hinges to the panels with the proper tools over a lunch break.
Then it was time for a trial fit of the body on the chassis. Having built it on an A7 chassis, it slipped on very easily.
Brackets to secure the body - and look a bit racy - were made up to fit the existing chassis out-riggers. I think there were six 1/4" bolts in all that held everything together - aircraft spec of course.
The rear light extensions concealed the wiring and were bolted to part of the rear mudguard bracket. It was a bit of a fiddle to assemble, but it was worth it to keep the weather out.
My design for the headlamp stalk and mudguard stay as one unit overlooked an important point - be sure to leave enough clearance between the wheel and mudguard.