The Dark Art....
... of wheeling. Well, it's an art, but it's not really dark. For the novice it's just very difficult and demands huge concentration. It also helps if you have half an idea about what both you and the machine are doing.
I was back again in Liskeard at MPH panels, this time for a full week so I could revisit what I'd learnt from my previous session and with the hope of creating a panel that looked like a bit of car. It was also necessary to make the best use of my time before the magnetising season got going.
Before I left Suffolk, I made a paper pattern for the Riley rear wing that I'd got from Mansfield. It had all the difficult bits - double curvature, wire-edging etc, and would need to be created in at least 4 sections. This could be something of a challenge as all 4 bits would have to join up!
Another little job I had to cross of the list was the inversion of the clutch lever on the Morris bell housing. It was pinned and keyed to the cross shaft and hadn't been touched since it left the factory. No doubt a certain amount of corrosion providing extra stiction would have to be overcome.
The locating pin was first drilled out- surprisingly accurately as it turned out - and the circlip on the opposite end of the shaft was removed so the shaft could be tapped through enough to get the jaw of the ball-joint extractor between the casting and the lever. A few turns with the spanner to build up some tension and a judicious tap with the thumb-finder saw the lever slide off with ease. It's always nice to not break anything.
Having during the week completed the stainless steel manifold, off it went to the customer only to be returned for the holes to be enlarged as the spec had been changed since the order. The 60mm holes were now to be 76mm. Making holes bigger is always a problem as a centre no longer exists. Chumley came up with the simplest scheme, that of using the 60mm hole saw as the guide with the 76mm cutter fixed above it on the arbor. And it would have worked perfectly had the 76mm cutters not been made of liquorice. A better quality cutter would do the job.
Back in Cornwall, my first exercise was to see if I could get the reverse curve weighed off. It took 3 attempts - from left to right: rubbish, better, best.
Then on with the Riley rear wing. The paper pattern I made was consigned to the bin and a new one crafted from masking paper. Then the aluminium blank was cut out. Ed started me off and reminded me what I should be doing....
... which resulted (eventually) in the first of 4 parts of the wing.
The second part was the return to the inside edge.
In all this I was aided by some rather special magnets which work on non-ferrous metals. That's black magic that is.