When The Going....
... gets tough, I count myself lucky to have friends with grown-up kit.
I had another manifold to fabricate in 5mm wall stainless steel pipe and ran up against the same problem with the cutters. It's not only the cutters not up to the job, but my 3ph pillar drill's lowest setting is way too fast at 500rpm. A top-quality cutter and a visit to a friend's workshop where his drill can go down to 75rpm, did the trick. I'm going to fit a speed controller to mine as this won't be the last manifold of this type.
And while I was cursing my 'junior' equipment, I thought I would ring the changes by pulling out the bead roller and get that stiffened up and motorised. This arrangement seems to have done the trick though I need to add another fillet to make a triangle at the back. I've got enough stuff lying about to make a stand as well.
A spring return for the top wheel was also a useful addition. The motor I took from the reclining chair which I thought I could make use of on the wheeling machine, will now be pressed into service on the bead roller. Now I know that the wheel needs so little adjustment in use - barely a quarter of a turn - the motor was a daft idea and would take away the 'feel'.
The reshaping of the coupé model has begun. I slapped on the filler a bit too thickly and it took 4 days to properly harden, but already the dimensions are on the way to being correct for the Riley chassis. Not paying attention and in my haste to get the new bonnet block glued in place, it went a bit sideways and the front was looking knock-kneed. A judicious cut in the wing (with another friend's bandsaw as the throat on my Startrite wasn't deep enough!) and the insertion of a wedge brought the front wheel back into line.
Then it was off to The Great Collector's to sort out his newly acquired Daimler. The engine was seized when he bought it and Counsel had the job of taking the head off to see what was what. A bent pushrod on no.5 inlet valve was discovered, but otherwise the bores looked unmarked and perfectly serviceable. It seemed that somehow the pushrod - which had a serious joggle in it - was causing the problem. While the head was off, we whipped out the valves for regrinding. The engine had been rebuilt many years ago and had done only a few miles when it seized up and was subsequently laid up. New exhaust valves had been fitted, though not lapped into their seats - one or two not even forming a seal. The inlet valves, though original, told a similar story.
We were distracted in our endeavours by the arrival of this pretty little Wolseley....
... with this neat OHC engine.
I see my flying chum is still having too much fun; coming home is going to be tough.